Sunday, April 29, 2012

Over the jet lag... Week 2

I was so happy to see how many of you read my 1st blog, and even happier to hear that it didn't bore anyone to death ;-).

Just wrapping up my 2nd week here in India and took me nearly a week to get over my jet lag and feeling like I'm settling in.  It was an interesting week and I thought about how to best share it with you...so decided to try to categorize:

A test in patience...
When I visited India last August, I ordered pizza (from Domino's) and encountered some issues when I asked for a pizza with just mushrooms.  I was told that they didn't have just mushroom pizza, so I think asked what types of pizzas they did have.  The first one they mentioned was a pepperoni & mushroom pizza--yeah, I thought the same thing and was about to ask "how about a pepperoni/mushroom pizza w/o the pepperoni?", but I refrained and ordered the pizza as is.  Well, fast forward to this past week.   I asked the hotel for a pizza place recommendation, and they give me the number for Pizza Hut ;-). Well, I didn't think my first pizza experience in India could be topped, BUT I was wrong.  I called Pizza Hut and it took me 20 minutes to order a plain cheese pizza!  Not because they couldn't understand my order, but because 1) it took two people to understand my name--I didn't know "Keith" was such a difficult name, and 2) when I told them I was staying at the Westin, they proceeded to ask me a hundred questions about landmarks around the Westin--keep in mind that I gave them the address and even asked if they delivered to the Westin, which they answered "yes, no problem sir".  After I got off the phone, 15 minutes later the driver calls and starts asking me all these questions, which I couldn't understand and I think we're done--not because he says "bye", but b/c he just hangs up.  Then a minute later, another person from Pizza Hut calls.  For the life of me, I have no idea what they were asking...and then this one hangs up and a minute later someone from the hotel staff is at my door w/ my pizza.  I think I'll be picking up my pizza from here on out.

Addictions...
Since being out here, I've definitely gotten hooked on a couple things: Fanta Orange pop and Naan.  I could quite possibly live on both of them the rest of my time here.  The Fanta has saved me a couple times this week while trying a new food and finding out it was way too spicy for me.  And today I was eating some naan and thought "I need to bring some of this to the President of Taco Bell--I could only imagine the wonderful things they could do with it."
 

I'm also really taking a liking to this dish called Dal Makhani, which is black lentils simmered with tomato and butter--it doesn't look too appealing, but it's delicious.
I also have gotten hooked on this show called "I Shouldn't Be Alive", which is on the Discovery channel and is about individuals who've encountered near death situations, but have lived to talk about it.  I know, probably not the cheeriest of shows, but it's more addictive than watching a weekend marathon of "Intervention".



Firsts...
I also experienced a couple firsts this past week. 
- For those of you who know me, you know it was just a matter of time before the my Costco size supply of Immodium came in handy.  Well, I guess there's even a term for it called "Delhi belly", even though I'm in Hyderabad.  Luckily it was just a 24hr thing, but I won't got into those details, but referring to my blog last week--those baby wipes came in handy.  Don't worry, no pictures to share with you on this experience.

- I encountered my first "road cow" the other day. The driving/streets are CRAZY with walkers, bikers, Tuk-tuk's, cars, tractors, you name it and it's on the roads...and there doesn't seem to be any method or pattern to the madness, BUT a cow walking down the street, well everyone gets out of the way.  It was pretty hilarious to witness, and all I could think about was a steak ;-).

- I also went apartment hunting on Saturday and had prepared myself to keep an open mind.  I was pleasantly surprised by the options I saw.  I had informed the relocation team that I would be fine with a 1 bedroom apt., but they said it is very rare to have 1 bedroom apts. in India--most were 2 or 3 bedrooms b/c the whole family lived there, including grandparents.  I looked at about 10-11 apartments and selected my top 3 choices and am waiting to hear back on next steps.  They were all in gated communities, which I found is pretty typical, and my only ask was that there was a swimming pool and a western style toilet in the apartment.  Here are a couple pictures, but I'll include more when I decide on one.

 
 

Work...
I didn't quite know how to categorize this story, but I think it's the funniest thing I've heard/witnessed since I've been out here.  We have a guy who works in our office...he's simply called the "office boy".  I even asked a co-worker what I should call him and they said, "you can just call him office boy"--REALLY?  And the first thought that popped into my head was Chris Farley (may he RIP) playing in a movie called "Office Boy--The Indian Dream".  He comes to my office every morning to ask if I need anything and takes my water bottle and fills it up.  I realize this doesn't sound very funny, and is probably very normal to people in the offices here, but I can't help but think how wrong it is to just call someone "office boy".  And yes, I'll get a picture of him and post it in a future blog, so keep your eyes peeled for the next mention of the office boy.

Deep-ka Thoughts by Keith...
- When ordering pizza in a foreign country, tell your name is Tom--it's easy to understand.
- Cow...one man's dinner, another man's deity.
- A wise and very true saying-- "what goes in, must come out." (Could be the tag line for the 'delhi belly')

Until next post...take care and thinking of you all!
Keith

8 comments:

  1. I'm very happy you are addicted to Fanta Orange and supporting Coca-Cola, but if you must use my name to order pizza please call Domino's as Pizza Hut is owned by the "other" beverage company:)

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to keep reading about your experiences. I won't be coming to India in may after all, but October is a possibility. Those apartments look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man, this is going to be hilarious. domino's, pizza hut, taco bell, delhi belly and wanting to eat their deity... have you ever seen that show "an idiot abroad"? not trying to draw a comparison here, but watch it! have fun keith! hahaha

    -erik

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie - (Mom's friend)Monday, April 30, 2012

    Enjoying your blog, Keith. Your Mom told me about it today and said she would sen it to me. But I found it online and beat her to it! That makes us even -She saw my Grandson's 1st Communion pics on Facebook before I even knew they were there!
    Enjoying your blog- You are living out a real live episode of HOUSE HUNTERS INTERNATIONAL Did you ever watch that on HGTV in the states? The person narrows their selection down to 3 choices. I'll guess you pick Apt. #3- kind of hard with no inside pictures.
    Good luck on your Inda adventure

    ReplyDelete
  5. Office Boy...love it! Why do I feel like we had some sort of name like that for someone on our Europe trip or someone in school?

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it Keith -- I was looking forward to blog 2 -- and you did not disappoint! Thanks for sharing your adventures. Great stuff!

    Leo S.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are crackin' me up! Great concept- office boy. Do they have home boys? That'd be awesome:) We are slightly addicted to that "You Shouldn't be Alive" show too.
    Later, Tom.
    :) stacey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok... so the whole "office boy" thing sounds like something out of a business version of gone with the wind... What even funnier is that when you asked what to call him... no one gave you his name... LOL

    Dot

    ReplyDelete